Something about the sea is so relaxing, the colors, the sounds of the waves crashing against the shoreline. I’m constantly drawn back to the ocean whenever I’m in need of inner peace, wanting to just stare into the horizon and let my mind blank. With all the hustle and bustle of the city it was nice to take a break and do a little weekend escape to beautiful Monterey. Having a dreamy coastline and abundance of sea life, Monterey is one of California’s ecological reserves.
Our decision to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel was perfect because of its location right on Canary Row. This gave us ample opportunity to walk around the shops and bars in the area. The amazing Monterey Aquarium is right there if you want to get an up close and personal look at all the sea life, it also has a great jellyfish exhibit. Or just simply walk out to the hotel deck and you are treated with sea otters playing in the bay.
My favorite way to enjoy the day here is by biking along the ocean. There are so many beautiful points all the way to Carmel, some with nice seats to kick back and relax at. I love being able to easily stop whenever anything peaks my interest, walk around for a bit and hop right back on my bike, all while getting in a pretty good workout.
I’m pretty glad we picked this weekend to go because the coastline looked so beautiful speckled with pink flowers in highlighted by the aqua blue water. I felt like I was walking through a coloring book. Next time I’m going start the day earlier and pack a picnic basket for the ride.
- You can rent bikes for $8 an hour in the canary row or for $30 dollars a day. Start early and just rent it for the day that way you can bike all the way to Carmel leisurely, put some food in your basket and just enjoy yourself.
- The bikes all have a map of the coastline on them so you can navigate and be on the lookout for key points to stop on the way.
- Once you reach Spanish bay the views stop because the road turns inland for a bit, this is also a good spot to turn around if you don’t want to bike far.
- For breakfast I highly recommend eating at First Awakenings and getting their delicious pancakes.
- Sardine factory sounds like an odd name for a restaurant but the ambiance here makes for a great date night.